Mitosis in onion root tip cell
- Prophase. Cell in mid-prophase. Note breakdown of nuclear envelope and condensation of chromosomes [right]. Newly-formed daughter cells [left].
- Metaphase. Chromosomes are aligned on the metaphase plate.
- Anaphase A. Chromosomes separate, migrating from the metaphase plate to the poles of the cell.
- Anaphase B. Chromosomes have separated. In Anaphase B, the spindle poles separate and become more distant.
- Telophase. Nuclear division is complete, awaiting cytokinesis.
- Two cells: Late-metaphase cell on the left. A gravitropic sensing root cell with statocytes on the right.
Copyright: Scott Russell, BSA